How to ensure Threaded Fastener reliability in an industrial gearbox

Standard

Industrial gearboxes play an important role in processing and manufacturing facilities. For plant professionals, the ultimate goal is to maximize machinery output, reliability and efficiency. That’s why a gearbox failure can be a costly setback to overall plant operations. Proactive maintenance will minimize expensive downtime, enhance reliability and dramatically cut costs.

There are some common challenges related to threaded fasteners in a gearbox:

Threaded fasteners in industrial gearbox

Vibrations, thermal fluctuations and tough operating conditions are some of the main apparent causes behind these challenges. While you normally cannot really change the operating conditions of your gearbox, you can certainly make sure to lock your bolts in the way that will prevent the said conditions having any major effect on them.

The space between the engaged threads between bolts and nuts has only 15% metal to metal contact. The remaining 85% air gap allows for:

  • Vibration to cause side-to-side motion leading to self-loosening
  • Differential expansion and contraction of substrates due to service temperature changes
  • Corrosive environment to attack the metal fasteners

By using a medium strength liquid threadlocker Loctite 243, that fills all the gap between the engaging threads and solidifies to unitize them, you prevent side to side movement that causes loosening as well as block access to moisture which causes corrosion.

If you haven’t tried liquid threadlocker so far, you can now request a sample of Loctite 243 and give it a try. On the other hand, in case you’re not ready to sample yet and would like to learn more about threadlocking, keep an eye out for a webinar on this topic, or simply contact us directly and we’ll be happy to talk about your specific requirements.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s